Saturday, January 17, 2009

CR day 2

Just a few hours left before I leave the big city. At that point, I will no longer have access to my virtual world which I fear I'm getting addicted to. I'm also a little sad to leave this little hotel. It is so cute! And there is this super nice guy at the front desk (Pedro) who's been teaching me more Spanish in exchange for a few French lessons (and there is absolutely no gutter to put your mind into with this statement!). You know what's great about Latin America? Everyone is always smiling at one another. Or maybe I'm just seing things through rosy glasses because I'm happy to be here. Either way, it's great.

So last night I went out with an old schoolmate, whom I hadn't seen since our highschool graduation over 20 years ago. She's been living here for 12 years! It was nice to go out with someone who knows the city but more importanly, knows the people. We went to an asian (yes I know) restaurant. We tried going somewhere else but it was full. On our way to the restaurant, we almost ran over a transvestite prostitute who seem to think that the idea of almost getting run over was pretty funny. How come these transvestite often have the most beautiful feminine bodies?!?! Anyway, I got back at my hotel around 10pm after a respectably good supper and Pedro wanted to hear all about it... in spanish... well we switched to English rather quickly.

I'm eager to see how much I can communicate with the people of El Sur this week. It's weird because I was able to talk with the cab driver yesterday and with Pedro but this morning I asked a lady if they had sugar for the coffee and she signaled some guy to talk to me as if she had no idea what I was saying. I know my spanish isn't that good but I'm certain the idea of what I was trying to say was understandable.

No comments: