Friday, May 30, 2008

The Countdown is Over

I have arrived in one piece to the inn. I'm only staying here for one night.
My day started at 2 a.m. after a 2 hours sleep. I got to the airport 3 hours before my departure time and EVERYTHING was closed. The airline counters were closed until 4 a.m. and the US customs were closed until 4:30 a.m. It was still ok that I got there so early because by the time the counters openned, there was already a decent lineup. So after going through the various counters I had to go through, I fell asleep at the gate for one hour. I was still so tired that the minute my bum touched the airplane seat, I completely zonked out for the entire flight. That's a first for me!

In Miami, everything was uneventfull. I waited, I walked, I ate, I waited, I slept and I waited some more. Boooooring! That flight was also uneventfull. We flew over the water for a good chunk of the flight which surprised me a little bit. Then, we were over the country side. Very green but maybe not as lush as I had imagined. When the plane landed, I was still waiting to see a city. I was now under the impression that San Jose was not at all the big city I envisionned! It even looked a little desolate! But, the airport is not quite IN the city. I'm not sure if the driver that picked me up took a "shortcut" but I ended up seeing quite a bit of the city. Some place are really slummy looking and others are pretty decent. The place were I'm staying is an old spanish mansion. It is quite old and in need of some extra love and care but still quite pretty. There is two humongous trees on either side of the front door with leaves that look like there plastic but are not.

The weather is quite pleasant. It rains a bit than there a big sunshine and so on. The humidity is absolutely nothing compared to Montreal in July and August. The other difference is that there's a good wind. During Montreal's heatwaves, there is usually no wind.

Tomorrow we're getting picked up by Globe Aware at 12:30 p.m. and then off we go to the forest. I think I read that it's about a 5 hour drive. I really doubt I'll have access to a computer so my next post will be upon my return to "civilisation" on Saturday.

Right now it's 4:30 p.m. and I need to catch some more z's. I'll wait for my travel buddy who should be getting here aroung 9:30 p.m. or 10 p.m. before going for supper. I know it's usually my bedtime hense the imminant nap.

2 comments:

SHAN said...

See, you made it..in one piece,
my little baby's growing up so fast!!!..lol.
Enjoy your stay, and I can't wait to hear all about your trip.
p.s. am I on the guest list for you wedding? ;)
xoxox

Marico Renaud said...

Me too!
Super que tu aies pu nous "poster" tes impressions "live".
Bisous and have fun!